Saturday, May 24, 2008

Wetnet Brunch 5/24/08, Whisper, 6 meters, HDTV

It's been a while since I filled out a page with notes durning brunch. This was a good one... Here's the high points in no particular order:

  • Whisper - It appears this is the hot mode on 6 meters these days. If I get an antenna at Seaside next weekend I'll be able to give this a try. Stan's article in ARRL mentions 30 meters but 6 meters (50.290?) is also used. So far the Diamond DP-GH62 looks like the best solution for a simple base antenna for Whisper and other
  • US Cutter is a local company making good use of Ebay where a friend is working...
  • We're about to pick up a digital converter box. Not that we really need it with cable, but it should give use some new channels that are only on the digital cable which we don't currently subscribe to. For a list of HD channels, I was told TitanTV is one of the best sites.
  • Sprints decision to limit month bandwidth to a mere 5 gigabytes on their Aircard offering was causing some consternation. I have faith that competition between the vendors and newer technologies will enable us to put these silly limitations behind us.
  • We're still looking for a solution to the USB cables for using the Nokia N800 as a host mode controller. I was going to get an adapter kit from the local Totem Lake Radio Shack but they had a different product then the one I saw in Factoria. Not only was it wrong, but $10 more.

More in a bit when i can finish this with my notes...

No comments: