Thursday, June 7, 2012

SDR really?


Ok - after the SeaPac/TAPR SDR seminar at Seaside last weekend, and now that I have a borrowed SDR receiver - it's time to pay a bit more attention to SDR (Software Defined Radio).   I've brought the HPSDR maillist up from the backlog and will be cleaning up the history...

My current hardware is the Funcube Dongle Pro.   Once it's running I'll have more incentive to get the SoftRock transceiver built and running.

I'll start with the FDP on the home station PC.   Next step is to plug it in and let it do the driver install magic.

Then I have to find software:

Once there's some sort of software running, what to I use it for?  I have 80 KHz of reception between 60 MHz and 1.7 GHz.  I'll know more once I get 
  • Broadcast FM
  • All the legacy packet channels - 145.01 to 145.09
  • Will it stretch down to 6 meters at 50 MHz?   I've seen one note that says it will.
  • APRS at 1200 (144.39) and 9600 (144.35) at the same time...
I'll update this post as I make some progress and learn more.



No comments: