Data at 1200 baud? That's plain and simple baud - not Mega bauds or Giga Bauds.. Crazy? Maybe not. Much of what we do when Video isn't involved can be handled with slow and simple systems.
If we do it right...
Here's a start of a fresh look at putting 1980's data technology to real use.
- No more than one digipeater.
- Use APRS for resource discovery.
- Separate users and data backhaul. Shared channels cause exponential degregation of performance.
- Use full duplex digipeaters for wide area resources.
- Use DAMA style resource management.
- Move away from fixed mode hardware TNC's. Soundcard packet options are here and offer higher speeds and better data simply by changing the software.
- much more...